Invulnerable to Kinetic attacks?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Invulnerable to Kinetic attacks?

Unread post by dark brandon »

In a game long ago (Months ago), I had a neat idea. It never got off because my character died (it was one of those if he lives, it'll be awesome moments, but there's a chance he'll die, and unfortunately, GM rolled max damage).

Regardless, how would you GM's rule this.

Mage/Psionic casts TK force field or Energy field or any other "field".

then, casts Carpet of Adhesion on it.

Under the description of "shatter", it says saving throw none...So, here's my logic.

When a kinetic attack hits the COA, the spell causes the kinetic attack to just stop since there is no chance of a saving throw for it, thereby causing no damage to the field.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Talavar
Hero

Re: Invulnerable to Kinetic attacks?

Unread post by Talavar »

dark brandon wrote:In a game long ago (Months ago), I had a neat idea. It never got off because my character died (it was one of those if he lives, it'll be awesome moments, but there's a chance he'll die, and unfortunately, GM rolled max damage).

Regardless, how would you GM's rule this.

Mage/Psionic casts TK force field or Energy field or any other "field".

then, casts Carpet of Adhesion on it.

Under the description of "shatter", it says saving throw none...So, here's my logic.

When a kinetic attack hits the COA, the spell causes the kinetic attack to just stop since there is no chance of a saving throw for it, thereby causing no damage to the field.

So basically creating a sticky bubble overtop of yourself? A bullet for example, would hit the Carpet of Adhesion before the protective dome and be stopped dead, transferring none of its force to the protective dome.... You know, I might allow that - but the player inside the dome would be unable to see out through the Carpet of Adhesion, so they'd basically be turtleing blindly.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

nah...the coa would cause the bullet do max damage because the coa would make the bullet put all of its energy into the sheild.

no bounce, rick-o-shea, no splater.

That is also assumming that a CoA can be cast apone the non-physical.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
dark brandon
Knight

Talavar wrote:So basically creating a sticky bubble overtop of yourself? A bullet for example, would hit the Carpet of Adhesion before the protective dome and be stopped dead, transferring none of its force to the protective dome.... You know, I might allow that - but the player inside the dome would be unable to see out through the Carpet of Adhesion, so they'd basically be turtleing blindly.

I've never pictured CoA to be anything more than a bluish light, but this is more of a theoretical question so there is no right or wrong answer.

nah...the coa would cause the bullet do max damage because the coa would make the bullet put all of its energy into the sheild.

no bounce, rick-o-shea, no splater.

Ah, but here's the kicker. if it doesn't push beyond the boundry of the CoA, how much energy is there to transfer? Isn't the act of pushing against something that would cause the damage, but since the point of where it is "push" it is basically stopped dead, there is no more push? For example, if I touch someone going very slowly, and then touch someone going very fast, but always stop at the same point (where contact occurs) would the person feel it "more"?

That is also assumming that a CoA can be cast apone the non-physical.

Ah, so what do you think, can it?
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

dark brandon wrote:Ah, but here's the kicker. if it doesn't push beyond the boundry of the CoA, how much energy is there to transfer? Isn't the act of pushing against something that would cause the damage, but since the point of where it is "push" it is basically stopped dead, there is no more push? For example, if I touch someone going very slowly, and then touch someone going very fast, but always stop at the same point (where contact occurs) would the person feel it "more"?

What makes you think a COA would stop something dead (i.e. without any movement at all)? It's sticky like flypaper, not solid like concrete, or even impeding like jello. A failed save means you're so impeded you can't get out of the carpet, but it doesn't mean you're unable to move in place, nor is there any indication that it absorbs kinetic energy.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Library Ogre

pintocat wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
dark brandon wrote:Ah, but here's the kicker. if it doesn't push beyond the boundry of the CoA, how much energy is there to transfer? Isn't the act of pushing against something that would cause the damage, but since the point of where it is "push" it is basically stopped dead, there is no more push? For example, if I touch someone going very slowly, and then touch someone going very fast, but always stop at the same point (where contact occurs) would the person feel it "more"?

What makes you think a COA would stop something dead (i.e. without any movement at all)? It's sticky like flypaper, not solid like concrete, or even impeding like jello. A failed save means you're so impeded you can't get out of the carpet, but it doesn't mean you're unable to move in place, nor is there any indication that it absorbs kinetic energy.

I think what they mean is, because it's sticky, anything coming into contact will stick. You walk onto a carpet, you'll get stuck. Therefore a bullet would stick the moment it hit, too. A bullet might be able to jostle around a little, maybe even continue through a bit, but if it's anchored to a TK field or whatever, that's still a few feet away from those inside.

Sure, but that's not going to protect the TK field, and once the field collapses, so does the carpet.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
dark brandon
Knight

Mark Hall wrote:What makes you think a COA would stop something dead (i.e. without any movement at all)? It's sticky like flypaper, not solid like concrete, or even impeding like jello. A failed save means you're so impeded you can't get out of the carpet, but it doesn't mean you're unable to move in place, nor is there any indication that it absorbs kinetic energy.

Nothing more than what makes you think it won't.

I've always seen CoA to be a slight bluish glow. If you fail to save, you're stuck. There is no movement. It's not like the cartoons when they step in something sticky they lift their foot up and tendrils of gobs pull it back. I DO see the sticky gobs when you make your save, the whole cartoon bit where a guy lifts his foot and he has these tendrils on his foot which is why he's able to eventually free himself from it.

Like fly paper, Unless you're about to free yourself from it, you don't really see the binding your finger. If I put my finger on a fly paper, and lift my finger up, I don't have a long line of glue that holds, and then "snap" the fly paper eventually springs up to my finger, unless I'm about ready to pull it off.
Library Ogre

However, like fly paper, it's supposed to be flexible... that's why it's hard to escape, even when you make a save. It resists letting go of you, no matter how you move. Flexible things transmit their energy to things beneath them.

The only way this works is if you assume it is rigid unless you save.

All Palladium Articles
dark brandon
Knight

Mark Hall wrote:
pintocat wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

I think what they mean is, because it's sticky, anything coming into contact will stick. You walk onto a carpet, you'll get stuck. Therefore a bullet would stick the moment it hit, too. A bullet might be able to jostle around a little, maybe even continue through a bit, but if it's anchored to a TK field or whatever, that's still a few feet away from those inside.

Sure, but that's not going to protect the TK field, and once the field collapses, so does the carpet.

Actually, I'm saying that the field would take no damage. The only reason I say the bullet would not even continue through is because it gets no save, thus it wouldn't go anywhere once it hits the COA, including hitting the TK FF with any force.

Some more thoughts to chew on.

What would happen if the TK Field goes down with the CoA still up? Does it cancel out, or does it fall to the next surface like a blanket?

Another thought. Lets say your on a table someone cast "CoA" on. You use your laser pistol to blow the table up from beneith you. Are you able to move around (Except you have table underneth your shoe) or does the magic of CoA keep in in an area as much as on a surface?
dark brandon
Knight

pintocat wrote:I guess if we assume that the velocity of a bullet is enough to make it save. I'm not sure how an inanimate object saves vs the carpet..? Just a straight roll?

Well, the spell "shatter" gives no save for inanimate objects. I don't think objects get a save.
dark brandon
Knight

Mark Hall wrote:However, like fly paper, it's supposed to be flexible... that's why it's hard to escape, even when you make a save. It resists letting go of you, no matter how you move. Flexible things transmit their energy to things beneath them.

Actually, I see it working both ways. In my view the moment you step foot on the CoA, you're stuck. By stuck I mean that which is touching the CoA is completely immobile. Like a stamp is stuck on a letter stuck. If you save, the view is more that you have laffy taffy on the bottom of your shoe.
dark brandon
Knight

pintocat wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:However, like fly paper, it's supposed to be flexible... that's why it's hard to escape, even when you make a save. It resists letting go of you, no matter how you move. Flexible things transmit their energy to things beneath them.

But even if you DO make the save, it takes (what is it, 1d4 actions?) to get free... if you apply that to a moving object, that means it's just lost almost all of its speed because it's moved maybe a maximum of 1 or 2 inches in the span of several seconds or a minute. Even if it's still moving at that point, it's moving really, really slowly and woudn't hurt a lot.

actually, it's 2D6 melee rounds...which could mean up to 3 minutes to get free.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”